Download Windows Server 2022 from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/
– Install Windows Server 2022
* Windows Server 2019 System Requirements:
Processor: 1.4 GHz 64-bit processor
RAM: 512 MB
Disk Space: 32 GB
Network – Gigabit (10/100/1000baseT) Ethernet adapter
Optical Storage – DVD drive (if installing the OS from DVD media)
Video – Super VGA (1024 x 768) or higher-resolution (optional)
Input Devices – Keyboard and mouse (optional)
Internet – Broadband access (optional)
Jamf Pro, is a comprehensive management system for Apple macOS and iOS devices. With Jamf, IT Technicians can proactively manage the entire lifecycle of Apple devices. This includes deploying and maintaining software, responding to security threats, distributing settings, and analyzing inventory data. – University of Minnesota
In this guide, we will go through the process of creating a Jamf Pro server on our domain.
Jamf Pro System Requirements (as of Jamf Pro 10.37):
Before we start installing Jamf Pro, we need to get our new Windows Server joined to our test domain.
Set the DNS address on our computer to our domain controller from the previous guide. Press Start and search for View Network Connections.
2. Right-click on the Ethernet adapter, and select Properties
3. Choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and open Properties
4. Under the General tab, select the radio button for Use the following DNS server addresses:
5. Enter the IP address of your domain controller, click OK, then click Close
6. Now we need to rename and join this computer to our domain. Press Start and search for About your PC
7. Scroll down on the ‘About’ section and find Rename this PC (advanced)
8. Under the Computer Name tab, select Change…
9. Change the Computer name: value and choose the radio button for Domain, then enter the value for your domain (ex. newDomain.ad), then click OK
10. You will be prompted for a domain administrator password. Close the About window, you should see a message that says Wecome to the newDomain.ad domain, click OK, then click OK on the next pop up. Click Close on the system properties, and restart the computer.
Now that our server is joined to the domain, we can start setting up Jamf Pro.
11. Install prerequisite software, Java and MySQL.
–Amazon Corretto (OpenJDK) 11
-Download Amazon Corretto (OpenJDK) 11
-Run the msi installer and follow the onscreen instructions
–MySQL Community Server 8.0
-Download MySQL Community Server 8.0
-Run the installer
-Select the Server Only setup type, and click Next
-If Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable needs to be installed, click Execute to continue the installation of the required software, once it is finished then click Next in the MySQL installer to continue.
-Start the installation of MySQL by clicking Execute, and click Next when the installation is complete, then click Next again.
-Select Standalone MySQL Server option, and click Next
-Select Use Legacy Authentication Method (Retain MySQL 5.x Compatability) and click Next
-Make sure you have Configure MySQL Server as a Windows Server, Start the MySQL Server at System Startup, and Standard System Account are selected, then click Next
-Click Execute to apply the configuration, then click Finish when the configuration is complete
-Click Next and then click Finish to complete the installation and exit the MySQL installer.
12. Install the Jamf Pro software. The Jamf Pro installer for Windows will install Tomcat, the Jamf Pro web app, and Jamf Pro Server Tools. You can obtain the installer by logging into your Jamf Account at https://id.jamf.com and navigating to the Products page for Jamf Pro. Once downloaded, open the installer and follow the onscreen prompts.
13. Now that we have Java, MySQL, Apache, Jamf Pro Server Tools, and the Jamf Pro web app installed. We need to create the Jamf Pro Database. Open up Command Prompt or PowerShell as an elevated user.
– Verify the Jamf Pro Server Tools CLI Version
> jamf-pro --version Version: 2.7.12 Revision: 1784ae09b3e842edeefeb677af52e65070e9ed65 Build time: 2022-02-23 05:20:44 -0800 PST
-Change directories to the MySQL bin folder, then access the MySQL command line as the “root” MySQL user
> cd 'C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 8.0\bin\' > .\mysql.exe -u root -p Enter password:
-Once you are in the MySQL command line, your prompt will look like:
-Create the Jamf Pro database
mysql> CREATE DATABASE jamfsoftware;
-Create the Jamf Pro database user
mysql> CREATE USER 'jamfproUser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'jamfsw03';
-Grant access to the database
mysql> GRANT ALL ON jamfsoftware.* TO 'jamfproUser'@'localhost';
-Exit the MySQL command line
-Configure innodb_bufer_pool_size to an appropriate value based on your server and inno_file_per_table
> jamf-pro database config set --innodb-buffer-pool-size 4096M > jamf-pro database config set --innodb-file-per-table true
-Verify the Server Tools configuration settings
> jamf-pro config list
-Verify the Jamf Pro to MySQL connection settings
> jamf-pro server config list
-Verify MySQL database settings
> jamf-pro database config list
14. Restart the services
> jamf-pro server stop successfully stopped the server > jamf-pro database restart successfully restart the database > jamf-pro server start successfully started the server
15. Access the Jamf Pro web by navigating to the webpage shown while running through the Jamf Pro installer. (https://localhost:8443). You will be greeted with the Jamf Pro Setup Assistant.
16. Agree the to License Agreement, enter your Org name and your Activation Code then click Next. Then create the first Jamf Pro user account, click Next. Verify the URL, click Next.
17. Log into Jamf Pro using the account that was just created.